Born in Edinburgh. Painter in oil of figure subjects, portraits and landscapes and decorative work including murals. Studied Edinburgh School of Design, where he was awarded the national gold medal, and RSA Life School 1893-1895, obtaining prizes for painting and drawing, and a Chalmers Bursary. Then studied at the Academie Julian in Paris. His output was very varied, the first notable commissions were to paint the ballroom of Manderston House, and ‘The Blue Blanket’ in Edinburgh City Chambers, illustrating James III’s gift of a banner, the famous blue blanket, to the craftsmen of the city. Enjoyed painting historical scenes demonstrating his ardent love of border ballads, songs and romance. Member, Scottish Art Club. In 1921, he executed an important work for the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland when addressed by Earl Haig – a picture requiring a great many portrait studies of current notables. ‘Bonnie Kilmeny’ was purchased by the King of Romania. A tender painter of great vitality with a feeling for beauty and form.
Elected ARSA 1911 RSA 1925. His work is represented in Glasgow AG, Kirkcaldy AG, Paisley AG and Perth AG.
The painting was exhibited at the RSA in 1913, No. 138. Lent by her husband Charles E Green of Liberton, Edinburgh, author of East Lothian, also a publisher.